Friday, December 28, 2012

Best New Artist in Hip Hop of 2012

Joey Bada$$

When I fist heard Joey Badass, I thought the same thing you do right now. This must be a really corny ass dude. But once I hit play to his 1999 mixtape, that all went away. This kid can rap! And at just 17 its amazing to hear a really intelligent and really lyrical rapper. This reminded when Odd Future came out and everyone was like “They are so young they are not even in there 20s”, I didnt care cause they were really corny and their music was not good to me at all, specifically Tyler The Creator (If you dont get it right now, I hate Tyler The Creator). To be 17 and better than a lot of rappers out there right now is crazy.

The mixtape 1999 featured famous beats by MF Doom and J Dilla which helps. One of my friends complained that although he thought Joey Badass was well badass he said he wished that on his next projects he don't rap over jazzy like beats. I disagreed so hard. The jazzy beats fit Joey Badass style. He loves that type of rap and I think that it makes him seem a lot more older and mature. His style reflects that type of production and I cant see him rapping over any other type of beats.

Im really interested what he is gonna drop next, I have high hopes. I really wish he doesn't stick with the homage style he sort of had in 1999. I mean I loved it but something that Ive heard before many times. If Joey Badass can create his own sort of style then he will become one of the best, as of now he is just a really good throwback type artist.

Anyone who love stuff like Tribe Called Quest or any type of jazzy hip hop would like Joey Badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment