Tuesday, January 15, 2013

ASAP Rocky LongLiveASAP album review

ASAP Rocky has come a long way since the hip hop world first gain noticed of him with his hit song 'Peso'. His LiveLoveASAP was a huge hit in 2011. Most of 2012 consisted with ASAP Rocky rising more to fame because one of the most known new artist and gaining respect from other well known artist like Drake who put him on tour with him.

While I like ASAP a whole lot, it always struck me as odd that he was from New York yet adapted a southern like flow. But that's one of the reasons he became so known and even though there are better southern rappers that are more 'true southern' ASAP Rocky doesn't really come off as a poser since you can tell that he is a huge fan of that style of hip hop and forms it in a unique way. This also causes many of his fans to tick me off when they claim that he is the best thing out there because of his flow, but that's just me being an hip hop elitist.

Listening to this album though I started to think that his whole style might have only worked once for me. This is pretty much more of the same with a little more mainstream appeal to it. I found myself being sort of bored by some of the songs wanting to just skip them to find a better one. Not that they were bad, some were okay but it was all the same type stuff. I feel this album is more of a mainstream type of ASAP Rocky with plenty of guest on the album. I never was that fond of Fucking Problem when I first heard it but it sort of grew on me over time because of it airplay on the radio. Although I feel I liked the song more because of the awesome guest on it especially Kendrick Lamar, 2 Chainz on the chorus, and hell even Drake which I don't really like.I usually hate albums filled with guest, I actually feel that this album benefits from it. I'm not saying that the album is filled with guest, which it's not, but it has enough to get ASAP Rocky attention from a more mainstream appeal, which seems to be what ASAP Rocky is trying to do with this album. Still don't believe me when I say that ASAP Rocky is trying to get mainstream appeal? Go listen to Wild for the Night. Keep listening. Do you hear it? Yes that is a dubstep track. More specifically Skrillex. Now do you believe me?

It seems like I'm bashing the album and ASAP Rocky. But there are things that I liked about the album. Even though its all the same from Rocky in terms of rapping its still fun to listen to if you are a fan and his beats are always on point.

Okay that's something those are things that I liked. Here is something I LOVED. The track 1 Train was the best thing on the album and the best thing to come out in 2013 yet. Even though I heard it when it leaked in December it's still amazing and technically a 2013 track. What's so great about the track? ASAP Rocky, Joey Badass, Kendrick Lamar, Action Bronson, Big KRIT, Yelawolf (Which I don't usually care for but he did a good job and didn't distract me) and the one and only Danny Brown. Every rapper made this track amazing, no weak rhymes here, everyone brought there all to it. If you were to ask me to rank them, I couldn't even think who would even be the weakest because they all did so damn good.

So the final word on the album: If you are a big ASAP Rocky fan and don't expect much but just Rocky doing Rocky, get the album. If you don't like him, don't get it. If you like ASAP Rocky but have more knowledge on other southern hip hop artists than the normal ASAP fan, get it just for 1 Train. 





No comments:

Post a Comment