Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rockie Fresh - Electric Highway

http://images.livemixtapes.com/artists/illwill/rockie_fresh-electric_highway/cover.jpg


This was a real pleasant surprise. I checked out the music video to Nobody and dug it a lot so I decided to check out his mixtape, and man this mixtape is seriously such a banger!

Rockie Fresh is part of the Maybach Music Group label along with Rick Ross, Stalley, Gunplay, Meek Mill, and many others. Normally this label isnt my type of thing. Rick Ross has gotten pretty dull to me, I still dig him but yea he is getting kinda lame doing the same stuff. Stalley is a good rapper but I find him to be really boring to listen to for the most part. Meek Mill is as average as they come. Gunplay is your normal gangster ignorant rapper, very dull as well.

There is something about Rockie Fresh that works for me. He has lots of mainstream elements like autotune, catchy chorus, and R&B type rap songs. Normally I hate autotune and lots of R&B type rap songs about girls but Rockie Fresh mixes it up along the way.

I think the reason it all works is cause Rockie Fresh has a real great charisma and comes off as fresh, pun intended. His flow is nice and smooth on the beat one most songs. When the song is slow he goes slow and when the song is hard he still rides the beat without going over board. He really come off as lyrically as well. At 21 he seems to be very nice while still maintaining his age. What I really loved is that he really comes off as really positive and just enjoyable to listen to. Personally I feel he is the better of the Maybach Music Group group.

It really helps that Rockie Fresh has nice flow, can rap, good lyrics that come off as personal and honest. But his rapping skills is not what makes me love this mixtape. It helps but without this amazing production this mixtape would probably be mediocre at best. The production on this is straight fire! I love the electronic based beats, it almost sounds like some Kid Cudi stuff. The song Nobody is the highlight, Lights Glow is a good one although his Drake like voice is a turn off. The Warning goes hard. I'm Wit It is another hard one. Ride Slow is super chill out and mellow. The list goes on.

At 17 tracks each songs has its strengths although some have their weakness.Lights Glow and his Drake like flow, Show Me Sumthin and the feature(sounds like nicki minaj but its not) are two weakness. But the mixtapes production and Rockie Fresh's ambition give the mixtape a real constant flow and feels like the mixtape has a concept behind it making it a really well made tape.

Download the mixtape here:
http://www.datpiff.com/Rockie-Fresh-Electric-Highway-mixtape.438389.html














No comments:

Post a Comment