Monday, January 28, 2013

Thoughts on Pusha T- Wrath Of Caine

Pusha T finally dropped his much anticipated mixtape Wrath of Caine tonight. Although its only been two hours since it drop, I feel Ive listen to it a couple times and can already say what I thought about it. I'm doing this one a little different, going track by track. These are more or less thoughts and less of a review. Here we go:

1.Intro: First off, that girl talking in the beginning is pretty annoying. But once Pusha T comes on it goes hard and the beat gets high and harder. Pusha spits some crazy ass lines and the song has a ton of energy. "Now everybody so 80s 90s inspired but none of you ****** 80s and 90s rhyming" Hard line and so true. A real good start to a mixtape. 3/5

2.Millions: At first I was not digging this song but Im really feeling it now. Pusha T goes hard on this one. "This shit sounds like God don't it" now that line sounds corny but the way Pusha delivers it is why Pusha T is so great. Rick Ross has a verse and adds to the hardness of the track. 4/5

3.Doesn't Matter: Why is French Montana popular? Seriously the worst. He pretty much ruined this song with his HORRIBLE hook. I swear to you I laughed out loud in disbelief during the hook. It is so bad. Although Pusha T saves the track a little bit but overall I'm almost tempted to the delete the track. The hook just totally killed it. 1/5 and that 1 is just because Pusha T delivers but the hook kills everything good about it.

4.Blocka: Okay I survived that horrible hook by French Montana. On to Blocka. This song shares similarity to Millions. Its a typical hard trap style track. Pusha T once again brings it and makes the song enjoyable. 3/5

5.Road Runner: "La musica de Harry Fraud" Love hearing that in the beginning of songs, guy is a pretty good producer. Unfortunately, the production does not save this track. This is another one of those tracks that has a pretty bad hook this time by Troy Ave. The song is really forgettable for me. 2/5 being generous since its better than Doesn't Matter

6.Revolution: This song picks it up. Very simple nice sounding beat by The Neptunes. The beat is seriousl so good, starts off slow and simple then builds up as Pusha T starts rapping as if the beat is saying "The King is Here!" Pusha T really is on point on this track and is the most lyrical rewarding track. 5/5

7. Only You Can Tell It: This song is my shit. Love the beat so much, even the high pitch sample. Pusha T rapping on this is on point as well. Wale even brings it on the track. This is seriously probably the best song on the mixtape. One complaint though, I know its a mixtape but I really did not like Pusha talking over the track. Its all good since I can find the single version with out him talking over it. 5/5

8.Trust You: I really tried to like this track but I can't. First off, Ive heard of Kevin Gates last year or so. Thought he was okay and its cool that Pusha got him on this track so he can get more cred but why are you trying to sound like Future. The hook is pretty bad and annoying. Why not just get Future???? Also did not like Pusha T on this track either. I don't know, I honestly don't wanna hear Pusha talk about exes and girls. 0/5

9.Take My Life: Really like this track. More Pusha T being Pusha T. The beat is nice, I really dig the African Reggae style of it. The song comes off as a little more personal from Pusha, which I loved. At first the hook sounded like another bad one but it turns out to be okay and like I said I dug the African Reggae style of it .5/5

10.Liva Re-Up Gang Motivation: Now this isn't a Pusha T track. And I know most who don't know of Pusha past work, Clipse then they would not know who this is. Ab liva is a friend and member of the Re-Up Gang that Pusha T was a part off. The song is real good lyrically and I thought it was real cool of Pusha adding it in. 3/5

11.I Am Forgiven: The song sorta shares similarities to Take My Life. Sounds a little more personal and Pusha T really brings it lyrically. A real nice outro. 4/5

Overall: Now what people got to understand is that this a a mixtape to My Name Is My Name, his debut album coming out this week. The songs on this mixtape were songs not used in the album. Like Pusha says in the end "This is just an appetizer".  Although this has me a tad worried. Like most debut albums, many artist seem to disappoint. Pusha T is pretty mainstream but he has underground roots so he seems to find a nice balance between the two. Pusha is not someone who is gonna change his style just to become more famous or get airplay.
While I thought the mixtape was good. I obviously did not like some songs but if you caught on there was one problem with them. The hooks. Pusha T needs to find better artist for hooks. To be honest, Pusha T does not need hooks but since he is on G.O.O.D Music the album will have some mainstream appeal to it. Hopefully the album is more along the lines of personal Pusha on Take My Life and mainstream-ish in the vein of Only You Can Tell It.


See what you guys think by downloading the mixtape hear.
http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/20556/pushat-wrath-of-caine.html

No comments:

Post a Comment