Monday, January 7, 2013

David Bowie still relevent in 2013? A Short David Bowie Retrospect


Does anyone really care about David Bowie in 2013? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE David Bowie. He has had so many CLASSIC albums and changed the game with albums like Low, also Heroes might be my favorite song ever. I even enjoyed the last two albums on first listen but never listened to them ever. Personally I feel Bowie should ditch music for a now and make more movies cause hes a really good actor.

 Does anyone care for a new Bowie album in 2013? Maybe the die hard fans but I feel his creative peak was during the 70s and start of the 80s. From his first album to Scary Monsters, David Bowie changed the rock world and created new trends and made interesting music. He made glam rock cool, he made electronic music become more accessible, made masterpieces of rock, he hung out with Iggy Pop (the godfather of punk) and was just a hugely interesting dude.  My favorite Bowie story is when he made Station To Station, the legend goes that Bowie was so high off cocaine that he does not even vaguely remember that time in the studio nor making the album. His diet was red chilli peppers and milk. He was under 100 pounds. That's a lot of cocaine!

Bowie's most creative era has to be the "Berlin Era". When he realized he had to let go of his addiction he moved to Berlin and become friends with the great Brian Eno (the godfather of electronic music?). During these years Bowie made three albums that were very different from his previous work and from the mainstream,. Low, Hereos, and Lodger were the albums and they were mainly electronic based with lots of emotion streaming throughout. I personally consider Low a masterpiece along with Ziggy Stardust and are two of my most prized vinyls in my collection.

Most of the 80s for Bowie consisted in the mainstream with hits like Let's Dance, Modern Love, and Under Pressure. Although during the 80s his career started to go to into the mainstream. His music was not interesting and this continued into the 90s and as we know now the present. I will say though that Let's Dance is an amazing fun, catchy, mainstream album. I mean come on. Let's Dance, China Girl, Cat People. So much fun Bowie tunes.

So in 2013 do we really need a new David Bowie album? I would say no. But he is still a legend in my eyes.

Heres his website with his new single along with a video that looks like it was directed by David Lynch
http://www.davidbowie.com/the-next-day


No comments:

Post a Comment